If I wanted to keep this really simple I could just tell you that I look and feel great when I’m drinking tons of water and when I’m not … welp its not pretty folks. It’s the easiest thing you can do to create a dramatic change in your body, beauty and energy. Water is responsible for 100% of the vital functions of our bodies. In fact we are all made up of about 60% water. Creating a regular routine of healthy water consumption is one of the best things you can do for your health.
These 5 easy water hacks will boost the benefits of water, giving you more energy, a healthier body and more beautiful skin. Woot!
1. Add lemon or local honey: Adding lemon gives your body the added boost of extra vitamin C and potassium. The vitamin C also aids in collagen production for smooth healthy skin. I recommend squeezing the juice into the glass and discarding the peel which might have pesticides or waxes on them. When adding honey, be sure to use raw local honey. It has not been processed (pasteurized etc) and being local it contains pollen that are specific to your area and will build up your tolerance which eases allergies. Raw local honey is also an outstanding way to combat colds and illness as it has a very strong antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal properties.
2. Drink more water: Its generally recommended that your drink eight 8 ounce glasses of water per day. Maintaining ideal hydration maximizes your physical performance. It also boosts your energy and brain functioning. Many studies have shown that even mild dehydration can impair mood, memory and brain performance- yuck! Why do this when It’s so easy to stack the deck in your favor.
3. Filter your water: It’s just a fact that there are lots of impurities and undesirable additives in most common sources of water. When you think about the reality that so many things go into our water supplies, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, run off etc and water treatment plants are not able to treat and filter them all. Having an additional filtering system in the home helps to ensure your water is free from contaminants. I opted for this affordable under the counter RO system from Amazon (Pictured below) and have been very happy with it. If you would like to check your local area for some of the larger known contaminants see the EWG sites here and here.
4. Drink water first thing in the morning: After 8+ hours without water your body is in need of hydration. Drinking 2 to 3 glasses of water first thing in the morning helps flush your digestive system and boosts your energy.
5. Drink warm water: Although we tend to think of that cold refreshing glass of water, the reality is that the temperature really does have an impact on how our bodies interact with the water. Warm water is better for aiding digestion as well as clearing the body of phlegm and toxins (especially useful when you are not feeling well). Drinking warm water before or after a meal actually softens the elements for digestion helping them to break down faster. While cold water can cause oils to harden and deposit, slowing your digestion.